As you or a loved one grow toward a healthier lifestyle free of addiction, you can expect a lot of stress. Life is stressful for adults and young adults even without the struggles of drug or alcohol abuse, and there are recovery issues that may sometimes feel overwhelming or impossible. That’s where stress management techniques come into play.
What are Stress Management Techniques?
Stress management techniques are activities designed to relieve stress naturally. They deliver fast results, but you must perform them consistently to enjoy long-term benefits. Some techniques will simply distract your mind for a short period of time, allowing you to relax and breathe deeply. When you return to your daily life, you should feel stronger and clear of mind.
The best stress management activities may also slow your heart rate, reduce your blood pressure, and free your mind from cluttered, confused thoughts. If you or a loved one experiences moments of intense anger, grief, or other intense emotions, these activities can help ease those emotions while reducing anxiety.
The Best Stress Management Techniques for Recovery
What are the most effective techniques to relieve stress while you’re working toward a drug-free life? We encourage our clients to find activities that are soothing and therapeutic for their personal needs, but the following five options can work well for most people in recovery.
- Meditation – Can you focus your attention on one thing for five minutes? It sounds much easier than it actually is for most people, but you’re encouraged to find a quiet moment and give it a try. Get into a comfortable position and focus your attention on one focal point for a set period of time. As thoughts come into your mind, mentally push them away and refocus.
- Horseback Riding or Horse Handling – Interacting with horses can lead to significant stress relief while allowing you or your loved one to benefit from fresh air and physical exercise. Brushing a horse allows for slow, repetitive movement that encourages the mind to stop spinning and the body to take deep breaths and relax.
- Yoga or Pilates – Any form of exercise that you enjoy can serve as a stress-reduction technique, but yoga and Pilates are the best options. Regular practice will help you connect your body and mind while encouraging deep breathing and mental focus.
- Journaling – You don’t have to buy a fancy journal or new pens to make this work, though you may want to do so. The goal is to sit down and type or write whatever comes to mind for a set period of time. Don’t fuss over grammar or paragraph structure. Simply write whatever springs to mind. It’s surprising what deep revelations are often scribbled out on the page. Journaling is a great release for thoughts and emotions that would otherwise remain bottled up, causing more stress and anxiety.
- Repetitive Prayer or Devotions – Find a prayer or spiritual devotion that speaks to the healthy life you’re attempting to create. Get into a comfortable position and close your eyes. Repeat the prayer or devotion over and over in a quiet, soothing tone. You can also say it silently.
Learn More About Healthy, Sober Living
Adding stress management techniques to your daily life will help you maintain a life free of drugs and alcohol, but you still need rehab services to ensure a healthy lifestyle for you and your loved ones.
Red Oak Recovery offers comprehensive addiction treatment programs in Leicester, NC. Our hybrid recovery program combines clinical treatment strategies with memorable outdoor adventures and life-changing wilderness experiences. We also offer a variety of rehab programs for young adults in North Carolina, including but not limited to:
- Grief counseling
- Eating disorder treatment
- Mental health treatment
- Trauma treatment
Adults or young adults ready to seek professional guidance toward sobriety can call us at 828.382.9699. You don’t have to live under the weight of addiction any longer. Take the first step down the path of recovery by reaching out to the compassionate professionals at our NC drug and alcohol rehab center.