Many people, particularly young adults, have complicated relationships with food. Unlike alcohol or other drugs, a person can’t make a choice to abstain from putting food into their body. Although many are familiar with anorexia and bulimia, binge eating disorder (BED) actually occurs more frequently. Although binge eating disorder is life-threatening, it can be successfully addressed in a binge eating disorder treatment program.
Red Oak Recovery® offers hope for young men 18-30. Our eating disorder treatment center in the peaceful Blue Ridge Mountains is a place for recovery and healing for those seeking lasting change. We know that disordered eating doesn’t just affect one aspect of a person’s life; it can impact their relationships, work life, and overall well-being. You can take control of your future. Call 828.382.9699 to find help for yourself or a loved one today.
What Is Binge Eating Disorder?
In order for someone to receive a diagnosis of a binge eating disorder, they must meet the following criteria:
- Recurring episodes of eating larger than normal amounts of food in a short period of time accompanied by a feeling of being unable to stop eating
- Three or more of the following:
- Eating rapidly
- Eating until uncomfortably full
- Consuming large portions of food when not hungry
- Eating alone out of embarrassment
- Shame, guilt, or regret when the episode ends
Unlike bulimia, BED does not include purging after binge eating. Although many people who suffer from BED are preoccupied with their weight and how their body shape appears, they don’t have bulimia or anorexia and don’t need an anorexia treatment center specifically. Instead, they would benefit from an eating disorder treatment center with experts who can focus on the unique challenges that BED presents.
Who Needs Treatment for Binge Eating Disorder
How do you know if you or someone you care about could benefit from binge eating disorder treatment? The following signs and symptoms can provide you with some useful guidelines:
- Changes in eating patterns or behaviors, including crash diets, fluctuating weight, secretiveness around eating, stealing food, or consuming large amounts
- Develops rituals around food (eating only at certain times or only specific food groups)
- Guilt, embarrassment, and shame after eating
- Physical symptoms include weight changes, stomach cramps, constipation, and other intestinal problems
- Inability to concentrate
One of the most compelling reasons to seek help from a binge eating disorder treatment center is that people with BED tend to suffer from many of the physical problems that come with obesity, although not everyone with BED is necessarily severely overweight.
How a Binge Eating Disorder Treatment Center Can Help
Red Oak Recovery® is one of the most successful young adult rehab programs in the United States. We recognize that BED is as difficult to overcome as substance use, which entails addictions to drugs and alcohol. All of these problems can leave young men feeling a loss of control over their lives and behaviors. We also recognize that the time between the ages of 18 and 30 brings a unique set of challenges of their own.
These challenges only grow as young men enter into the responsibilities and expectations of adulthood. That is why we have designed Red Oak Recovery® to cater specifically to young adults with substance, mental health, and eating disorder issues. Our campus is located in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina, and is designed to promote the holistic healing of the entire person.
Binge Eating Disorder Treatment in Asheville, NC
If you or someone you care about has BED, you probably already know the toll it takes. In addition to the physical changes, someone with BED has low self-esteem and may also use alcohol or other drugs. At Red Oak Recovery®, we are committed to addressing the condition at its roots in several ways. Our services include a combination of the following:
- A thorough evaluation of physical, psychological, nutritional, and substance use history
- Fully accredited, masters-level staff
- Participation in individual counseling
- A unique, wilderness-based adventure program to build confidence, enhance physical health, and promote healthy problem-solving and teamwork
- Gender-specific programming
- Ongoing alumni and family groups for continued peer support after completing the program
Not every binge eating disorder treatment center provides the comprehensive programs that clients need for recovery, but Red Oak does.
Start the Binge Eating Disorder Treatment Program at Red Oak Recovery®
Is it time to seek help for your binge eating disorder? Our young adult rehab program in Asheville, NC, can provide the support and treatment you need. Start healing today by calling 828.382.9699 or contacting Red Oak online. Our admissions team is available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our program and what we can do for you or your loved one. Don’t wait any longer to take control of your future and begin the journey toward lasting change and recovery.