Many of us feel shy or embarrassed from time to time in our interactions with other people, and this is quite normal. For some, however, the fear of social situations that have the potential to lead to embarrassment is chronic and crippling. This condition is known as social anxiety disorder. If it interferes with a person’s life, getting help from a social anxiety disorder treatment center is necessary.
What is Social Anxiety Disorder?
Social anxiety disorder (SAD) goes far beyond shyness or being introverted. A person with this condition is often so frightened of being scrutinized or embarrassed in a social situation that they have strong physical symptoms of anxiety. In many cases, they opt to avoid social milieus whenever possible to alleviate their pain and stress. For people displaying these severe symptoms, a social anxiety disorder treatment center can provide therapy and support that will, over time and with hard work, alleviate this debilitating condition.
Symptoms of SAD
The symptoms of SAD can be broken down into three groups: physical (how someone feels), cognitive (what they think) and behavioral (what they do). They include the following:
- Physical symptoms such as racing heart, shaking, sweating, headache, chest tightening and pain, ringing in the ears
- Cognitive symptoms including negative thoughts, beliefs, and bias
- Choices are made based on fear and avoidance of difficult social situations
- Quality of life is poor because of isolation and low self-esteem
- A tendency to escape or run away from fear-provoking situations
At a social anxiety disorder treatment center, professional staff and clinicians can take time to thoroughly and carefully interview a client to determine if they have a social anxiety disorder and to begin to discover what triggers it. In treatment, therapy often focuses on the negative thought patterns that people fall into, with an emphasis on recognizing when the thoughts begin and consciously reframing them.
How a Social Anxiety Disorder Treatment Center Can Help
If you or someone you love experiences life-altering fear in social situations that is out of proportion with reality and significantly interfere with your daily activities or happiness, Red Oak Recovery in Asheville, North Carolina is here to help. Our mental health and wellness center in NC offers caring and knowledgeable professionals who understand the powerful negative impact that SAD can have on a person’s life. We strive to help young adults between the ages of 18 and 30 to rise above this condition.
If you know anything about Red Oak Recovery, you may be aware that we are on two campuses, one for men and the other for women. Our mission is to help the whole person through a combination of treatments. We offer our clients the following services customized to meet individual needs:
- Full physical, nutritional, behavioral, and mental health evaluation with recommendations
- Individualized focus on dual diagnosis to promote a lasting recovery
- Individual counseling and group therapy
- Adventure-based wilderness activities to promote wellness and healthy teamwork and friendships
- Emphasis on supporting families throughout the recovery process
- Ongoing support for program graduates
If you are looking for a social anxiety disorder treatment center, look no further than Red Oak Recovery. There is a treatment for social anxiety disorder. Those who experience its debilitating symptoms truly can live full and normal lives after spending time with us. Give us a call today at 866-457-7590 and let us help you become healthy and happy again.