Mental health issues often coincide with trauma and addiction. Unfortunately, one of the most common issues among men battling addiction is depression. Depression is a mood disorder that leaves the individual feeling sad, hopeless, and guilty. These feelings may encourage the person to turn to drugs and alcohol in an effort to self-medicate. In some cases, those who suffer from depression may experience suicidal thoughts and actions. Before they reach this point, it is vital to turn to a depression treatment center.
At Red Oak Recovery®, we are committed to providing mental health and addiction treatment to men between the ages of 18 and 30. We are proud to offer a young adult rehab for our clients in NC, which we can tailor to the needs of each client. To learn more about our mental health treatment options and young adult rehab programs, please contact Red Oak Recovery® today at 828.382.9699.
Understanding the Symptoms of Depression
Depression symptoms vary from person to person and involve more than just a blue mood. Depression is a brain disorder. As such, it can impact a person’s day-to-day functioning, making it difficult to hold a job, complete school, or maintain a healthy relationship.
If you or someone you love experiences the following symptoms, it’s time to give us a call.
- Feeling sad or “empty”
- Feeling hopeless, irritable, anxious, or guilty
- Loss of interest in favorite activities
- Feeling very tired
- Not being able to concentrate or remember details
- Not being able to sleep or sleeping too much
- Overeating, or not wanting to eat at all
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems
- Excessive drinking or use of another mood or mind-altering substances
An effective depression treatment program will teach you new skills to manage your mental health and triggers, help you create new and healthy coping mechanisms, and take your life back from depression.
Who Could Benefit From a Depression Treatment Program?
Depression and addiction frequently occur simultaneously. In fact, a high percentage of individuals battling depression also suffer from depression. Depressive illnesses often affect men of all ages, and men are more likely to take action on suicidal thoughts. Depression can result from a genetic predisposition for the disorder, hormonal imbalances, stress, or the use of mood-altering chemicals. However, it can also be due to a traumatic event, such as an injury or the death of a loved one.
The Benefits of Professional Depression Treatment
How could a depression treatment program help you? Some of the benefits of receiving care at a depression treatment center include the following:
- Really being able to open up with your counselor or therapist and getting to the root cause of your depression
- Learning new and healthier ways to cope with and manage your symptoms
- Learning how to avoid or effectively manage depression triggers
- Many facilities are equipped to treat co-occurring disorders, and if you also struggle with drug or alcohol addiction, you can get help for that as well
- Group therapy will introduce you to a support system of peers who understand what you’re going through
- Family therapy can help you mend family relationships, communication, and boundaries
- Access to educational and support resources
- Planning for continued care and support after treatment ends
There is no shame in getting help when the symptoms of your depression become overwhelming and too difficult to manage alone. An effective depression treatment program can help you take your life back.
About Our Depression Treatment Center
Red Oak Recovery® isn’t just another substance use treatment program; it’s a program devoted to young men dealing with co-occurring mental health issues, trauma, and substance use, such as depression.
It doesn’t matter whether drug and alcohol use led to your depression or you began self-medicating to escape the pain of a mood disorder. The chances of successful long-term recovery are greatest when co-occurring conditions are treated together.
To this end, we provide the young men in our care with truly individualized and integrative mental health support. Clients at Red Oak Recovery® participate in conventional and holistic treatment modalities that focus on the whole body, including:
- DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy)
- CBT (Cognitive-behavioral therapy)
- EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing)
- REBT (Rational emotive behavioral therapy)
- Solution-focused and person-centered techniques
- Experiential therapy
- Existential therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Object relations/attachment therapy
- Nutritional therapy
- 12-step programming
- Expressive arts therapy
- Relational therapy
- Family education and support
- Adventure therapy
- Sober peak experiences
Find Addiction and Depression Treatment at Red Oak Recovery®
For men struggling with mental illness and addictive tendencies, rehabilitation and treatment may seem like an impossible journey. The experts at Red Oak Recovery® offer integrated therapeutic, holistic, and medical support for men dealing with co-existing addiction or substance use, trauma, and depression. For more info about the treatment options available, call 828.382.9699 today. You can also fill out our online form and let us get back to you.