Almost everyone is familiar with the 12 Step program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Because of its success rate and longevity, many individuals seeking treatment also seek out the 12 steps. Finding a range of addiction treatment programs that includes a 12 step program is often essential to a successful treatment plan. However, not all drug rehab centers in Marietta GA offer these programs. Instead, individuals must head elsewhere for the help they need.
The Background of the 12 Steps
In the past, the 12 Step program list took on a religious meaning. Because it mentions the presence of a divine power, many people now worry that you have to be a believer to participate. This isn’t the case. In fact, it’s possible for atheists, agnostics, and anyone without an interest in religion to adopt the teachings of the program. While some drug rehab centers in Marietta GA provide a variation of the 12 steps, they often lack the full continuum of care that needs to go with it.
The 12 Step Program List
The list of steps is not something that takes you from addiction to healing through a stay at rehab. Instead, its designers intended the list to be a lifelong guideline for continued sobriety. The original steps combine declarations with decisions and hands-on actions.
- There’s an admission of powerlessness when it comes to drug use.
- The participant expresses a belief in a higher power that can assist with healing.
- Next, the person chooses to surrender to this higher power.
- People journal or otherwise collect a moral inventory that doesn’t sugarcoat anything.
- You have the opportunity to confess specific wrongs to the higher power and people in your life.
- Program participants express a readiness to have the higher power heal them.
- Now, they communicate with the higher power to express their desires.
- To communicate sorrow for wronging others, people list those who suffered because of them.
- They will try to apologize unless doing so would create more harm than healing for the other person.
- In the process, you learn to take responsibility quickly for situations and apologize as needed to the people involved.
- Meditation and prayer assist with grounding oneself and remaining in contact with the higher power.
- Finally, the principles of the 12 Steps permeate all aspects of life; you help others in recovery to heal as well via these steps.
Don’t Settle for Drug Rehab Centers in Marietta GA
When you’re struggling with substance abuse, the 12 Steps can make a significant difference in your life. That said, they’re typically insufficient by themselves to result in your healing. For this reason, a mens rehab center in Asheville NC combines them with other addiction treatment programs such as:
- Dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring mental health conditions
- Psychotherapy that includes cognitive behavioral therapy or acceptance and commitment therapy
- Trauma therapy to identify and deal with stressors that could lead to drug abuse
- Experiential treatment that might consist of expressive arts
- Relapse prevention education and counseling
If you’re suffering from an alcohol or drug abuse problem, you may feel hopeless. But you don’t have to continue living in the vicious cycle of addiction and regret. The compassionate therapists at Red Oak Recovery® want to help people just like you overcome and heal. Our facility is proud to offer a variety of services and programs that include the 12 steps. If you’re not finding what you need from the drug rehab centers in Marietta GA, it’s time to head to North Carolina. Contact Red Oak Recovery® today at 866-457-7590 today for immediate assistance.