Good health involves much more than being physically fit — your mental health also plays a role in your total wellness. Unfortunately, many people with mental health disorders don’t get the treatment they need. As a result, some of them try to medicate themselves with drugs and alcohol. The right mental health and wellness center in NC can make a big difference in your life if you’ve struggled with mental illness along with a substance use disorder. Call 866.457.7590 today to learn about Red Oak Recovery® and how we can help.
Common Signs of a Mental Health Disorder
Almost everyone will struggle with a facet of their mental health at some point in their life. Maybe major life changes make you anxious and stressed, or you may struggle to cope with losing a loved one. It’s when these symptoms don’t go away on their own, or you’re not able to regulate your emotions, that mental health can begin to impact other aspects of daily life negatively.
Some signs of common mental health disorders include:
- Depression: mood swings, loss of pleasure in hobbies, isolation, deep sadness and excessive crying, irritability, excess sleep or insomnia, restless sleep, changes in appetite causing weight gain or loss, feelings of hopelessness, and suicidal thoughts.
- Anxiety: persistent anxiety, worry, or dread that interferes with daily life that can last months or years, irritability, mood swings, hypervigilance, racing or unwanted thoughts, insomnia, trembling, nausea and other GI issues, and heart palpitations.
- Bipolar disorder: mood swings from mania to depression, impulsivity, risk-taking, hyperactivity, delusions, feelings of superiority, paranoia, rapid talking, sleep issues, and weight loss or gain.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): obsessive and compulsive thoughts and behaviors, hoarding, hypervigilance, ritualistic behavior, isolation, repetitive, unwelcomed, and negative thoughts, repetitive speech or actions. Sometimes presents as a fear of germs and need to be obsessively clean, but not always. Symptoms can manifest gradually.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Caused by a traumatic event or series of traumatic events, PTSD causes nightmares, flashbacks, heightened reactions and hypervigilance, anxiety and/or depression, and isolation in an attempt to avoid more trauma or triggers for pre-existing trauma.
Things like a family history of mental illness and trauma can affect your mental health significantly and cause symptoms of underlying disorders to manifest. If your mental health has gotten to a point where it negatively impacts your life, it is crucial to reach out for help. Many facilities offer co-occurring disorder treatment as well, so if you are struggling with substance abuse on top of your mental health concerns, you can get help for that too.
The Connection Between Substance Use and Mental Illness
Although millions of Americans have a mental illness, only a small fraction of them receive help from a mental health and wellness center. There are various reasons they don’t get the treatment they need.
Some people are embarrassed about having a mental health disorder. They wonder what will happen if their boss or other people find out. Other people don’t know about all of the helpful resources available to them, especially ones that can work around their caregiving or job obligations.
Instead of seeking help, they turn to drug and alcohol use. They may rationalize drinking more to numb the pain. Or, they may misuse prescription drugs instead of working with professionals to get the medication they need.
However, the problem goes both ways. Someone who uses drugs and alcohol may develop mental illness as their addiction progresses. As they continue using, their mental health continues to decline.
How a Qualified Mental Health and Wellness Center Can Benefit You
Whether you began abusing drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with depression or your anxiety became worse due to substance use, treatment at a mental health and wellness center can benefit you in a number of ways.
Specialists in addiction treatment understand the link between mental illness and addiction.
They’re qualified to treat both disorders simultaneously, which gives you the best chance at lasting recovery.
It’s not enough to simply treat bipolar disorder when addiction exists alongside it. If you’re in North Carolina or a neighboring state, a mental health and wellness center in NC could be the answer you’ve been looking for.
A Mental Health and Wellness Center in NC That Makes a Difference
If you’re searching for the best mental health facilities in NC, consider Red Oak Recovery®. We’re an addiction treatment and rehab center in Asheville that focuses on giving young adults the specialized help they need.
Alongside addiction treatment, we provide services of a mental health and wellness center for clients who may benefit from dual diagnosis treatment. Our compassionate team knows that clients with co-occurring disorders require a unique approach to treat mental illness and substance use disorder effectively.
What is it about Red Oak Recovery® that sets us apart? We understand the unique challenges that young men and women face, whether they’re dealing with one issue or several. We also offer the only true hybrid treatment program that combines adventure-based therapy with clinical treatment options.
Discover Our Complete Approach to Health at Red Oak Recovery®
Are you looking for addiction treatment and a mental health and wellness center in NC? A visit to Red Oak Recovery® in Asheville may finally give you the peace and stability you deserve.
Our young adult rehab programs include:
- Mental health treatment
- Anxiety treatment program
- Trauma treatment
- Depression treatment center
- Co-occurring disorder treatment
If you’re tired of grappling with anxiety, depression, and addiction, help is available at Red Oak Recovery®. Give us a call today at 866.457.7590 for more information about our mental health and wellness center in NC, or fill out our online form and let us get back to you.