Millions of people may be affected by various forms of mental illness each year. However, not everyone understands the connection between mental illness and addiction. For those suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD treatment is a necessity especially if they also struggle with addiction.
There are many types of mental health disorders. Two main facets of behavior compose obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD. First, the person experiences irrational fears known as obsessions. Secondly, these fears result in specific compulsive actions that an individual will repeat to relieve the anxiety that the fears create. OCD treatment is necessary because the condition can impact all areas of life. In fact, without obsessive compulsive disorder treatment, a person may be unable to live a healthy life.
Signs of OCD
Getting proper OCD treatment requires being aware of the signs of this condition. When it comes to mental health treatment, education is part of the key to success. You or a loved one may suffer if the following occur:
- Constant feelings of doom- Those suffering from OCD may always feel that something bad is about to happen. As a result, they spend their existence fretting over things that do not seem to bother others.
- Repetition of words or actions- The compulsive actions that some people suffering from OCD engage in can include repeating specific phrases, closing and opening doors, and similar behaviors. These actions typically make no sense to outsiders who are not affected by the condition.
- Hoarding of items- Hoarding can be a common feature associated with obsessive compulsive behavior. The items that the person collects may not hold any value to others.
- Social isolation- Most people who experience OCD prefer to remain socially isolated. Part of this may be because others do not understand the odd behaviors they engage in. They may also feel sad, lonely, and embarrassed at times.
- Excessive agitation or stress- Someone suffering from OCD may become highly agitated if their usual routine is interrupted. They feel the need to engage in the repetitive actions because they lead to a temporary reduction in anxiety.
How is Their a Connection Between OCD and Addiction Risk?
To acquire proper OCD treatment, you also have to understand how the condition is related to an increased risk of addiction. In many cases, addiction is the result of an existing mental health condition. For example, a person facing the discomfort of OCD may develop painful anxiety, depression, and loneliness. They may turn to addictive substances to try to take away their emotional pain. Unfortunately, this action only makes the situation much worse.
Ensuring You Get the Best OCD Treatment
Thankfully, reaching out for OCD treatment does not have to be hard. Many obsessive compulsive disorder treatment options exist to make this process easier for everyone involved. Young adult rehab programs can also address the unique needs of teens and adolescents struggling with mental illness and addiction.
It’s important to get help from a high-quality treatment facility that is adept at dealing with co-occurring disorders through innovative means. In many cases, your entire family can engage in the recovery process, allowing you all to develop a more meaningful bond.
Red Oak Recovery® is a rehab center in Asheville, NC. We understand how diverse obsessive compulsive disorder treatment options need to be to provide relief. Through an innovative hybrid program and a multi-disciplinary approach, we can help you begin to experience healing.
Call Red Oak Recovery® today at 866-457-7590 to find out more information about OCD treatment. Take the first step in getting control of your life.